Thanks to my wonderful sister I have discovered how wonderful curry is! As soon as I tasted it, I started dreaming of putting it in Butternut Squash soup. As usual, after my research, I decided to pull a bit from a few different recipes to make exactly what I wanted.
I paid $2 for the squash and had the rest of the ingredients in the house already. Here is the final version of that soup.
1 Squash, about 2lb, peeled & cubed
1 medium onion, diced
2 tsp curry
2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp cumin
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth/stock
salt & pepper to taste
Greek Yogurt to top (can use sour cream)
1. Heat skillet on medium heat & heat up olive oil/butter. Heat & brown squash in sections. (It took me 3 rounds) Set Squash Aside. My understanding is that this step brings out more of the squash flavor, the squash will not be fully cooked here.
2. Heat Soup Pot on medium heat with a little olive oil. Add onions & saute until slightly soft. Stir in spices, let cook for 1 minute.
3. Add Squash & Broth to the onions and let simmer for about 30 minutes (or until squash is mushy)
4. Blend in standing blender in sections until all smooth.
5. Add Salt & Pepper to taste and serve with Greek Yogurt.
My husband preferred it without the Greek Yogurt. It is not necessary, but does add a nice creaminess if you want it. Even my 3-year old wanted more!